Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items  (Peter Galbavy <Peter.Galbavy@knowledge.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At 10:11 PM 6/8/99 +0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

>We discussed this issue recently and decided to follow this way,
>so I didn't post message when pg_dump was changed, assuming
>that it's known by all -:)

I don't mean to this group, or any of the postgres groups,
I mean to the world at large, in which Postgres has a very
negative image for web work.  Consistent dumps, killing
of one very bad memory leak (and a bunch of not-so-bad
ones), and moving to mvcc from table-locking - these are
three huge improvements for people building web sites.
Folks outside the normal Postgres community deserve to
know this.

And the latest download executes my "group by" clauses rather
than killing the backend, as I found out last night.  I've
just sped up a page that returns a bar graph of monthly
data by an order of magnitude, woo-hoo!  Before I was
forced to do a separate select for each month (against
about 100,000 records, boo-hiss), now one nice select
grouping data by month just like real databases let me
do, I'm happy!

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net