Re: Optionally using a better backtrace library?

От David Steele
Тема Re: Optionally using a better backtrace library?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7/3/23 11:58, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>> Nice things about libbacktrace are that the generation of stack traces is
>> documented to be async signal safe on most platforms (with a #define to figure
>> that out, and a more minimal safe version always available) and that it
>> supports a wide range of platforms:
>
> Sadly, it looks like the library is seldom distributed.  For example,
> Debian seems to only have a package called android-libbacktrace which I
> imagine is not what we want.  On my system I see a static library only
> -- is that enough?  That file is part of package libgcc-10-dev, which
> tells me that we can't depend on that for packaging purposes.

It would be a pretty big win even if the improved backtrace is only
available in dev environments -- this is what pgBackRest currently does.

We are also considering adding this library to production builds but
have not pulled the trigger on that yet since we are a bit worried about
possible performance impact and have not had time to benchmark.

Regards,
-David