Re: pg_dump additional options for performance

От Pavan Deolasee
Тема Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Jochem van Dieten <jochemd@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Or we could have a switch that specifies a directory and have pg_dump
>  split the dump not just in pre-schema, data and post-schema, but also
>  split the data in a file for each table. That would greatly facilitate
>  a parallel restore of the data through multiple connections.

How about having a single switch like --optimize <level> and then based
on the "level", pg_dump behaves differently. For example, if optimization is
turned off (i.e. -O0), pg_dump just dumps the schema and data. At level 1,
it will dump the pre-schema, data and post-schema.

We can then add more levels and optimize it further. For example, postponing
the creation of non-constraining indexes, splitting the data into
multiple files etc.
I can also think of adding constructs to the dump so that we can identify what
can be restored in parallel and pg_restore using that information
during restore.

Thanks,
Pavan

--