Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/21/19 8:10 AM, Avinash Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 8:16 PM Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@lists.simkin.ca
> <mailto:ahodgson@lists.simkin.ca>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 2019-10-21 at 16:40 +0530, Avinash Kumar wrote:
>>
>>     We need to ensure that we have safe backup locations, for example,
>>     push them to AWS S3 and forget about redundancy.
>>     Why do you think only Offline Backups are reliable today ?
>

>     There have been examples of hackers gaining control of an
>     organization's servers or cloud accounts and not only destroying
>     their online systems but also methodically deleting all their backups.
>

>     There are fewer things that can go catastrophically wrong if one has
>     actual offline backups. You have to be a lot more careful about
>     protecting anything attached to the Internet.
>
> I do not agree with this. If a hacker is gaining control of your
> organizational servers to destroy your Online backups, can't he destroy
> the offline backups and your database ?

Well to me off-line means you have introduced an air gap between your
on-line presence and your off-line backups. This would prevent an
intruder from accessing the off-line backups.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),
Сообщение: Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),