Re: Tidy fill hstv array (src/backend/access/heap/pruneheap.c)

От Andrey M. Borodin
Тема Re: Tidy fill hstv array (src/backend/access/heap/pruneheap.c)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On 14 Jan 2024, at 18:55, John Naylor <johncnaylorls@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2024 at 9:36 PM Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Em ter., 9 de jan. de 2024 às 06:31, John Naylor <johncnaylorls@gmail.com> escreveu:
>
>>> This just moves an operation from one place to the other, while
>>> obliterating the explanatory comment, so I don't see an advantage.
>>
>> Well, I think that is precisely the case for using memset.
>> The way initialization is currently done is much slower and harmful to the branch.
>> Of course, the gain should be small, but it is fully justified for switching to memset.
>
> We haven't seen any evidence or reasoning for that. Simple
> rules-of-thumb are not enough.

Hi Ranier,

I’ll mark CF entry [0] as “Returned with Feedback”. Feel free to reopen item in this CF or submit to the next, if you
wantto continue working on this.

I took a glance into the patch, and I would agree that setting field nonzero values with memset() is somewhat unusual.
Pleaseprovide stronger evidence to do so.

Thanks!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.