Re: Popcount optimization using AVX512

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Popcount optimization using AVX512
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> writes:
> Here is what I have staged for commit, which I intend to do shortly.

Today's Coverity run produced this warning, which seemingly was
triggered by one of these commits, but I can't make much sense
of it:

*** CID 1596255:  Uninitialized variables  (UNINIT)
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/include/avxintrin.h: 1218 in _mm256_undefined_si256()
1214     extern __inline __m256i __attribute__((__gnu_inline__, __always_inline__, __artificial__))
1215     _mm256_undefined_si256 (void)
1216     {
1217       __m256i __Y = __Y;
>>>     CID 1596255:  Uninitialized variables  (UNINIT)
>>>     Using uninitialized value "__Y".
1218       return __Y;
1219     }

I see the same code in my local copy of avxintrin.h,
and I quite agree that it looks like either an undefined
value or something that properly ought to be an error.
If we are calling this, why (and from where)?

Anyway, we can certainly just dismiss this warning if it
doesn't correspond to any real problem in our code.
But I thought I'd raise the question.