Re: listening addresses

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: listening addresses
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian said:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>> > Second attempt attached. The fatal message now reads "no configured
>> > listening socket available", but I am not wedded to the wording. I
>> > also  was not sure how to mark up * in the docs.
>>
>> I went with "no socket configured to listen on" for the failure
>> message, but am not wedded to that either.
>
> I updated the error text to:
>
>             (errmsg("no socket configured for listening")));
>
> Hope you like it.

Both of these are not always correct - they might well have configured a
listening address but we were unable to bind to it, although in that case
a warning would have already been issued. To be strictly correct either we
need to use a flag to distinguish the these cases, or we need an error
message that contemplates both cases.

cheers

andrew