RE: Performance improvements of INSERTs to a partitioned table

От Kato, Sho
Тема RE: Performance improvements of INSERTs to a partitioned table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thanks David.

> I'm highly against doing 'c' since both [1] and [3] are very useful patches which scale partitioning to work well
withvery large numbers of partitions.

Agreed.

>'a' is not that ideal a solution either as it means that anyone doing CREATE INDEX or TRUNCATE on a partition would
conflictwith queries that are querying an unrelated part of the partitioned table.

If only deadlock is a problem, I think intention lock is needed.
All SQL on a partitioned tables take a intention exclusive or shared lock on the root first and take a conventional
lockon target leaf next.

>  While I don't really like 'b' either, I wonder how many people are going to hit deadlocks here.
>To hit that, I believe that you'd have to be doing the TRUNCATE or CREATE INDEX inside a transaction and to hit it
whereyou couldn't hit it before you'd have had to carefully written your CREATE INDEX / TRUNCATE statements to ensure
they'reexecuted in partition order.

In case of CREATE INDEX on the leaf, users have to ensure to statements executed in partition order since similar case
couldoccur in no partitioned table.

But, DBMS have to prevent deadlock occurred by CREATE INDEX/TRUNCATE on the root.

>Perhaps a GUC is needed to choose between 'a' and 'b'?

I agree with Amit. It is difficult to choose for users.

regards,
Sho Kato

От: Amit Langote
Сообщение: Re: speeding up planning with partitions
От: "Daniel Verite"
Сообщение: Re: csv format for psql