Re: Weird test mixup

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Weird test mixup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> On 15/03/2024 16:00, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It may be even worse than it appears from the buildfarm status page.
>> My animals were stuck in infinite loops that required a manual "kill"
>> to get out of, and it's reasonable to assume there are others that
>> will require owner intervention.  Why would this test have done that,
>> if the module failed to load?

> The gin_incomplete_split test inserts rows until it hits the injection
> point, at page split. There is a backstop, it should give up after 10000
> iterations, but that was broken. Fixed that, thanks for the report!

Duh ...

> Hmm, don't we have any timeout that would kill tests if they get stuck?

AFAIK, the only constraint on a buildfarm animal's runtime is the
wait_timeout setting, which is infinite by default, and was on my
machines.  (Not anymore ;-).)  We do have timeouts in (most?) TAP
tests, but this wasn't a TAP test.

If this is a continuous-insertion loop, presumably it will run the
machine out of disk space eventually, which could be unpleasant
if there are other services running besides the buildfarm.
I think I'll go notify the buildfarm owners list to check for
trouble.

Are there limits on the runtime of CI or cfbot jobs?  Maybe
somebody should go check those systems.