Re: Race condition while creating a new partition

От Andrei Zhidenkov
Тема Re: Race condition while creating a new partition
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I’m creating a new partition for every second deliberately in order to faster reproduce a bug I have on the live
environment.In the live environment a new partitions are being created every one day. More to that, we create new
partitionsin advance and this procedure is only a backup mechanisum in case of something goes wrong. Now I think that
theonly way to avoid errors like this is to use explicit locking, I tried advisory locks and it worked well.

> On 17. Dec 2019, at 00:06, Michael Lewis <mlewis@entrata.com> wrote:
>
> It looks like you are creating a partition for each minute of the day (when logs get inserted for a given minute at
least).Would it be at all reasonable to have an hourly or daily job which creates the partitions ahead of when they are
actuallyneeded? If partitions went unused in the recent past, you could also drop those if appropriate to your
workflow.I just wonder about doing the work just-in-time via 2+ connections vs doing it from a single process to avoid
thechance of deadlock completely.

От: Michael Lewis
Сообщение: Re: Race condition while creating a new partition
От: Steven Winfield
Сообщение: Row locks, SKIP LOCKED, and transactions