Re: Removing GlobalVisTestNonRemovableHorizon

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Removing GlobalVisTestNonRemovableHorizon
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2024-04-15 15:13:51 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> It would of course have been nice to have done this sooner, but I don't
> think waiting for next release cycle will make anything better.

I don't really know how it could have been discovered sooner. We don't have
any infrastructure for finding code that's not used anymore. And even if we
had something finding symbols that aren't referenced within the backend, we
have lots of functions that are just used by extensions, which would thus
appear unused.

In my local build we have several hundred functions that are not used within
the backend, according to -Wl,--gc-sections,--print-gc-sections. A lot of that
is entirely expected stuff, like RegisterXactCallback(). But there are also
long-unused things like TransactionIdIsActive().

Greetings,

Andres Freund