Re: Combine Prune and Freeze records emitted by vacuum

От Melanie Plageman
Тема Re: Combine Prune and Freeze records emitted by vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 11:07:10AM -0400, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> These comments could use another pass. I had added some extra
> (probably redundant) content when I thought I was refactoring it a
> certain way and then changed my mind.
>
> Attached is a diff with some ideas I had for a bit of code simplification.
>
> Are you working on cleaning this patch up or should I pick it up?

Attached v9 is rebased over master. But, more importantly, I took
another pass at heap_prune_chain() and am pretty happy with what I came
up with. See 0021. I simplified the traversal logic and then grouped the
chain processing into three branches at the end. I find it much easier
to understand what we are doing for different types of HOT chains.

I got rid of revisited. We can put it back, but I was thinking: we stash
all HOT tuples and then loop over them later, calling record_unchanged()
on the ones that aren't marked. But, if we have a lot of HOT tuples, is
this really that much better than just looping through all the offsets
and calling record_unchanged() on just the ones that aren't marked?

I've done that in my version. While testing this, I found that only
on-access pruning needed this final loop calling record_unchanged() on
items not yet marked. I know we can't skip this final loop entirely in
the ON ACCESS case because it calls record_prunable(), but we could
consider moving that back out into heap_prune_chain()? Or what do you
think?

I haven't finished updating all the comments, but I am really interested
to know what you think about heap_prune_chain() now.

Note that patches 0001-0020 are still the same as before. Only 0021 is
the new changes I made (they are built on top of your v8 0022).

Tomorrow I will start first thing figuring out how to break this down
into parts that can apply on master and then rebase the rest of the
patches on top of it.

- Melanie

Вложения