Re: Some shared memory chunks are allocated even if related processes won't start

От 'Alvaro Herrera'
Тема Re: Some shared memory chunks are allocated even if related processes won't start
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-Mar-05, Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu) wrote:

> Basically sounds good. My concerns are:
>
> * GetNamedDSMSegment() does not returns a raw pointer to dsm_segment. This means
>   that it may be difficult to do dsm_unpin_segment on the caller side.

Maybe we don't need a "named" DSM segment at all, and instead just use
bare dsm segments (dsm_create and friends) or a DSA -- not sure.  But
see commit 31ae1638ce35, which removed use of a DSA in autovacuum/BRIN.
Maybe fixing this is just a matter of reverting that commit.  At the
time, there was a belief that DSA wasn't supported everywhere so we
couldn't use it for autovacuum workitem stuff, but I think our reliance
on DSA is now past the critical point.

BTW, we should turn BRIN autosummarization to be on by default.

"Las mujeres son como hondas:  mientras más resistencia tienen,
 más lejos puedes llegar con ellas"  (Jonas Nightingale, Leap of Faith)