Re: Streaming read-ready sequential scan code

От Melanie Plageman
Тема Re: Streaming read-ready sequential scan code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 03:56:57PM -0500, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 6:05 PM Melanie Plageman
> <melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 4:17 PM Melanie Plageman
> > <melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > There is an outstanding question about where to allocate the
> > > PgStreamingRead object for sequential scans
> >
> > I've written three alternative implementations of the actual streaming
> > read user for sequential scan which handle the question of where to
> > allocate the streaming read object and how to handle changing scan
> > direction in different ways.
> >
> > Option A) https://github.com/melanieplageman/postgres/tree/seqscan_pgsr_initscan_allocation
> > - Allocates the streaming read object in initscan(). Since we do not
> > know the scan direction at this time, if the scan ends up not being a
> > forwards scan, the streaming read object must later be freed -- so
> > this will sometimes allocate a streaming read object it never uses.
> > - Only supports ForwardScanDirection and once the scan direction
> > changes, streaming is never supported again -- even if we return to
> > ForwardScanDirection
> > - Must maintain a "fallback" codepath that does not use the streaming read API
>
> Attached is a version of this patch which implements a "reset"
> function for the streaming read API which should be cheaper than the
> full pg_streaming_read_free() on rescan. This can easily be ported to
> work on any of my proposed implementations (A/B/C). I implemented it
> on A as an example.

Attached is the latest version of this patchset -- rebased in light of
Thomas' updatees to the streaming read API [1]. I have chosen the
approach I think we should go with. It is a hybrid of my previously
proposed approaches.

The streaming read is allocated in heap_beginscan() and then reset on
rescan and when the scan direction changes. I only check if the scan
direction changes when a new page is needed. This implementation means
no fallback method is needed, so we can remove the non-streaming read
code for heap sequential scans.

Because heapgettup() and heapgettup_pagemode() are also used for TID
range scans, this patch also happens to implement streaming reads for
TID range scans.

- Melanie

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BhUKGJtLyxcAEvLhVUhgD4fMQkOu3PDaj8Qb9SR_UsmzgsBpQ%40mail.gmail.com

Вложения