Re: An improved README experience for PostgreSQL

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: An improved README experience for PostgreSQL
Дата
Re: An improved README experience for PostgreSQL  (Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 02:46:11PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 26 Feb 2024, at 21:30, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I think this would be nice.  If the Markdown version is reasonably readable
>>> as plain-text, maybe we could avoid maintaining two READMEs files, too.
>>> But overall, +1 to modernizing the README a bit.
>>
>> Per past track record, we change the top-level README only once every
>> three years or so, so I doubt it'd be too painful to maintain two
>> versions of it.
>
> It wont be, and we kind of already have two since there is another similar
> README displayed at https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/.  That being said, a
> majority of those reading the README will likely be new developers accustomed
> to Markdown (or doing so via interfaces such as Github) so going to Markdown
> might not be a bad idea.  We can also render a plain text version with pandoc
> for release builds should we want to.

Sorry, my suggestion wasn't meant to imply that I have any strong concerns
about maintaining two README files.  If we can automate generating one or
the other, that'd be great, but I don't see that as a prerequisite to
adding a Markdown version.

--
Nathan Bossart