Re: MAINTAIN privilege -- what do we need to un-revert it?

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: MAINTAIN privilege -- what do we need to un-revert it?
Дата
Re: MAINTAIN privilege -- what do we need to un-revert it?  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 10:20:28AM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> If those arguments are still unconvincing, then the next idea is to fix
> the search_path for all maintenance commands[3]. I tried this during
> the 16 cycle, but due to timing issues it was also reverted. I can
> proceed with this approach again, but I'd like a clear endorsement, in
> case there were other reasons to doubt the approach.

This seemed like the approach folks were most in favor of at the developer
meeting a couple weeks ago [0].  At least, that was my interpretation of
the discussion.

BTW I have been testing reverting commit 151c22d (i.e., un-reverting
MAINTAIN) every month or two, and last I checked, it still applies pretty
cleanly.  The only changes I've needed to make are to the catversion and to
a hard-coded version in a test (16 -> 17).

[0]
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FOSDEM/PGDay_2024_Developer_Meeting#The_Path_to_un-reverting_the_MAINTAIN_privilege

--
Nathan Bossart