Re: Popcount optimization using AVX512

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: Popcount optimization using AVX512
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 09, 2024 at 10:24:32AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2024-01-26 07:42:33 +0100, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > This suggests that finding a way to make the ifunc stuff work (with good
> > performance) is critical to this work.
>
> Ifuncs are effectively implemented as a function call via a pointer, they're
> not magic, unfortunately. The sole trick they provide is that you don't
> manually have to use the function pointer.

The IFUNC creators introduced it so glibc could use arch-specific memcpy with
the instruction sequence of a non-pointer, extern function call, not the
instruction sequence of a function pointer call.  I don't know why the
upthread ifunc_test.patch benchmark found ifunc performing worse than function
pointers.  However, it would be odd if toolchains have replaced the original
IFUNC with something equivalent to or slower than function pointers.

Сообщение: Re: Function and Procedure with same signature?
Сообщение: Re: Function and Procedure with same signature?