Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-Feb-04, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:

> This patch uses wording "banks" in comments before banks start to
> exist. But as far as I understand, it is expected to be committed
> before "banks" patch.

True -- changed that to use ControlLock.

> Besides this patch looks good to me.

Many thanks for reviewing.

On 2024-Feb-05, Dilip Kumar wrote:

> > (We also have SimpleLruTruncate, but I think it's not as critical to
> > have a barrier there anyhow: accessing a slightly outdated page number
> > could only be a problem if a bug elsewhere causes us to try to truncate
> > in the current page.  I think we only have this code there because we
> > did have such bugs in the past, but IIUC this shouldn't happen anymore.)
>
> +1, I agree with this theory in general.  But the below comment in
> SimpleLruTrucate in your v3 patch doesn't seem correct, because here
> we are checking if the latest_page_number is smaller than the cutoff
> if so we log it as wraparound and skip the whole thing and that is
> fine even if we are reading with atomic variable and slightly outdated
> value should not be a problem but the comment claim that this safe
> because we have the same bank lock as SimpleLruZeroPage(), but that's
> not true here we will be acquiring different bank locks one by one
> based on which slotno we are checking.  Am I missing something?

I think you're correct.  I reworded this comment, so now it says this:

    /*
     * An important safety check: the current endpoint page must not be
     * eligible for removal.  This check is just a backstop against wraparound
     * bugs elsewhere in SLRU handling, so we don't care if we read a slightly
     * outdated value; therefore we don't add a memory barrier.
     */

Pushed with those changes.  Thank you!

Now I'll go rebase the rest of the patch on top.

"Having your biases confirmed independently is how scientific progress is
made, and hence made our great society what it is today" (Mary Gardiner)