Re: Small fix on COPY ON_ERROR document

От Yugo NAGATA
Тема Re: Small fix on COPY ON_ERROR document
Дата
Re: Small fix on COPY ON_ERROR document  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:59:09 +0900
Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 11:28 AM Yugo NAGATA <nagata@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found that the documentation of COPY ON_ERROR said
> > COPY stops operation at the first error when
> > "ON_ERROR is not specified.", but it also stop when
> > ON_ERROR is specified to the default value, "stop".
> >
> > I attached a very small patch to fix this just for
> > making the description more accurate.
>
> Thank you for the patch!
>
> +1 to fix it.
>
> -    <literal>ON_ERROR</literal> is not specified. This
> -    should not lead to problems in the event of a <command>COPY
> +    This should not lead to problems in the event of a <command>COPY
>
> How about the followings for consistency with the description of the
> ON_ERROR option?
>
> COPY stops operation at the first error if the stop value is specified
> to the ON_ERROR option. This should not lead to ...

Thank you for you review. However, after posting the previous patch,
I noticed that I overlooked ON_ERROR works only for errors due to data
type incompatibility (that is mentioned as "malformed data" in the
ON_ERROR description, though).

So, how about rewriting this like:

 COPY stops operation at the first error unless the error is due to data
 type incompatibility and a value other than stop is specified to the
 ON_ERROR option.

I attached the updated patch.

Regards,
Yugo Nagata