Re: core dumps in auto_prewarm, tests succeed

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: core dumps in auto_prewarm, tests succeed
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2024-01-23 08:00:00 +0300, Alexander Lakhin wrote:
> 22.01.2024 23:41, Andres Freund wrote:
> > ISTM that we shouldn't basically silently overlook shutdowns due to crashes in
> > the tests. How to not do so is unfortunately not immediately obvious to me...
> >

> FWIW, I encountered this behavior as well (with pg_stat):
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/18158-88f667028dbc7e7b@postgresql.org
>
> and proposed a way to detect such shutdowns for a discussion:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/290b9ae3-98a2-0896-a957-18d3b60b6260%40gmail.com
>
> where Shveta referenced a previous thread started by Tom Lane:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/2366244.1651681550@sss.pgh.pa.us
>
> What do you think about leaving postmaster.pid on disk in case of an
> abnormal shutdown?

I don't think that's viable and would cause more problems than it solves, it'd
make us think that we might have an old postgres process hanging around that
needs to be terminted before we can start up. And I simply don't see the point
- we already record whether we crashed in the control file, no?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: core dumps in auto_prewarm, tests succeed
Сообщение: Re: core dumps in auto_prewarm, tests succeed