Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

От Sutou Kouhei
Тема Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Thanks for replying to this proposal!

In <20231205182458.GC2757816@nathanxps13>
  "Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations" on Tue, 5 Dec 2023 12:24:58 -0600,
  Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it makes sense to do this part independently, but we should be
> careful to design this with the follow-up tasks in mind.

OK. I'll keep updating the "TODOs" section in the original
e-mail. It also includes design in the follow-up tasks. We
can discuss the design separately from the patches
submitting. (The current submitted patch just focuses on
refactoring but we can discuss the final design.)

> I assume the performance concerns stem from the use of
> function pointers.  Or was there something else?

I think so too.

The original e-mail that mentioned the performance concern
[1] didn't say about the reason but the use of function
pointers might be concerned.

If the currently supported formats ("text", "csv" and
"binary") are implemented as an extension, it may have more
concerns but we will keep them as built-in formats for
compatibility. So I think that no more concerns exist for
these formats.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/3741749.1655952719%40sss.pgh.pa.us#2bb7af4a3d2c7669f9a49808d777a20d

Thanks,
--