Re: Update "usename" in pg_user

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Update "usename" in pg_user
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 2023-Nov-14, Bernd Lentes wrote:

> It didn't work. I got this message (unfortunately in german):
> postgres=# update pg_user set usename = 'usename@helmholtz-munich.de' where usename = 'dorota.germann';
> FEHLER:  kann Sicht »pg_shadow« nicht aktualisieren
> DETAIL:  Sichten, die nicht aus einer einzigen Tabelle oder Sicht lesen, sind nicht automatisch aktualisierbar.
> HINT:  Um Aktualisieren der Sicht zu ermöglichen, richten Sie einen INSTEAD OF UPDATE Trigger oder eine ON UPDATE DO
INSTEADRegel ohne Bedingung ein.

This error says that you're trying to update a view (Sicht), and
suggesting to update the underlying table instead.  So you would update
pg_authid, which is the table that the pg_user and pg_shadow views are
based on (and the column would be "rolname", not "usename").  Also, you
probably wanted the SET clause as
  SET usename = usename || '@helmholtz-munich.de'
otherwise all users would end up with the same username (or actually got
an error that the second user would get a duplicate name).

However, using UPDATE (or any DML) on system catalogs is not a great
move.  Using \gexec as already suggested by Laurenz is probably your
best bet.

BTW, you can use
  SET lc_messages to "C";
before the UPDATE to get these error messages in English.

"The Postgresql hackers have what I call a "NASA space shot" mentality.
 Quite refreshing in a world of "weekend drag racer" developers."
(Scott Marlowe)