Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Дата
Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded  (Hannu Krosing <hannuk@google.com>)
Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:55:36 +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik <knizhnik@garret.ru> wrote in
> Postgres backend is "thick" not because of large number of local
> variables.
> It is because of local caches: catalog cache, relation cache, prepared
> statements cache,...
> If they are not rewritten, then backend still may consume a lot of
> memory even if it will be thread rather then process.
> But threads simplify development of global caches, although it can be
> done with DSM.

With the process model, that local stuff are flushed out upon
reconnection. If we switch to the thread model, we will need an
expiration mechanism for those stuff.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi