Re: win32ver data in meson-built postgres.exe

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: win32ver data in meson-built postgres.exe
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-06-07 18:45:07 -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2023 at 04:47:26PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2023-06-07 16:14:07 -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
> > > A postgres.exe built with meson, ninja, and MSVC lacks the version metadata
> > > that postgres.exe gets under non-meson build systems.  Patch attached.
> >
> > I dimly recall that we discussed that and basically decided that it doesn't
> > really make sense to attach this information to postgres.exe.
>
> I looked for a discussion behind that, but I didn't find it.  A key
> user-visible consequence is whether the task manager "Name" column shows (1)
> "PostgreSQL Server" (version data present) vs. (2) "postgres.exe" (no version
> data).  While (2) is not terrible, (1) is more typical on Windows.  I don't
> see cause to migrate to (2) after N years of sending (1).  Certainly this part
> of the user experience should not depend on one's choice of build system.

I think I misremembered some details... I guess I was remembering the icon for
dlls, in
https://postgr.es/m/20220829221314.pepagj3i5mj43niy%40awork3.anarazel.de

Touching the rc stuff always makes me feel dirty enough that I want to swap it
out of my brain, if not run some deep erase tool :)

> > >     This preserves two quirks of the older build systems.  First,
> > >     postgres.exe is icon-free.
> >
> > We could also just change that.
>
> I would be +1 for that (only if done for all build systems).  Showing the
> elephant in task manager feels better than showing the generic-exe icon.

Let's do that then.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: Use COPY for populating all pgbench tables
Сообщение: Re: Use COPY for populating all pgbench tables