Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction
Дата
Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction  ("Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> On Wed, 2023-06-07 at 23:50 +0200, Daniel Verite wrote:
>> The simplest way to obtain that in v16 is to teach initdb that
>> --locale=C without the --locale-provider option implies that
>> --locale-provider=libc ([1])
>
> As I replied in that subthread, that creates a worse problem: if you
> only change the provider when the locale is C, then what about when the
> locale is *not* C?
>
>   export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>   initdb -D data --locale=fr_FR.UTF-8
>     provider:    icu
>     ICU locale:  en-US
>
> I believe that case is an order of magnitude worse than the other cases
> you brought up in that subthread.
>
> It also leaves the fundamental problem in place that LOCALE only
> applies to the libc provider, which multiple people have agreed is not
> acceptable.

Daniels comment:
>> Yes it's a special case but when doing initdb --locale=C, a user does
>> not need or want an ICU locale. They want the same thing than what v15
>> does with the same arguments: a template0 database with
>> datlocprovider='c', datcollate='C', datctype='C', dateiculocale=NULL.

So in this case the only way to keep the same behavior in v16 with "initdb
--locale=C" (--no-locale) in v15 is, bulding PostgreSQL --without-icu?

Best reagards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS LLC