Re: Show various offset arrays for heap WAL records

От Melanie Plageman
Тема Re: Show various offset arrays for heap WAL records
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 04:31:44PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 3:04 PM Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I will say that the prefix of p in "ptid" makes it sound like pointer to
> > a tid, which I don't believe is what you meant.
>
> I was thinking of the symbol name "ptid" from
> _bt_delitems_delete_check() (it even appears in code comments). I
> intended "posting list TID". But "pointer to a TID" actually kinda
> works too, since these are offsets into a posting list (a simple
> ItemPointerData array) for those TIDs that we're in the process of
> removing/deleted from the tuple.

If you keep the name, I'd explain it briefly in a comment above the code
then -- for those of us who spend less time with btrees. It is a tool
that will be often used by developers, so it is not unreasonable to
assume they may read the code if they are confused.

- Melanie