Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-04-10 16:50:20 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Yeah, I think that's the only feasible answer at this point.
> Maybe a month or two back we could have done differently,
> but there's not a lot of runway now.
>
> Once we do drop src/tools/msvc from HEAD, we should make a point
> of reminding -packagers about it, in hopes that they'll work on
> the transition sooner than next May.

So the plan is:

- add note to docs in HEAD that the src/tools/msvc style of build is
  deprecated
- give -packagers a HEADS up, once the deprecation notice has been added to
  the docs
- have a patch ready to drop src/tools/msvc from HEAD once 16 has branched off
  (i.e. a polished version of what I posted upthread)

On IM Thomas made some point about CI - I wonder if we should add building 16
with src/tools/msvc as an optional CI task? We can't enable it by default
(yet), because we'd not have enough resources to also run that for cfbot. Once
16 forked, we then could set to run automatically in the 16 branch, as cfbot
won't run those.

Greetings,

Andres Freund