Re: Decoupling antiwraparound autovacuum from special rules around auto cancellation

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Decoupling antiwraparound autovacuum from special rules around auto cancellation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-01-18 13:42:40 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> The real point of change appears to be 10->11.
>
> There's a relevant looking difference in the vac_estimate_reltuples call:
> 10:
>     /* now we can compute the new value for pg_class.reltuples */
>     vacrelstats->new_rel_tuples = vac_estimate_reltuples(onerel, false,
>                                                          nblocks,
>                                                          vacrelstats->tupcount_pages,
>                                                          num_tuples);
>
> 11:
>     /* now we can compute the new value for pg_class.reltuples */
>     vacrelstats->new_live_tuples = vac_estimate_reltuples(onerel,
>                                                           nblocks,
>                                                           vacrelstats->tupcount_pages,
>                                                           live_tuples);
> which points to:
>
> commit 7c91a0364fcf5d739a09cc87e7adb1d4a33ed112
> Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> Date:   2018-03-22 15:47:29 -0400
>
>     Sync up our various ways of estimating pg_class.reltuples.

The problem with the change is here:

    /*
     * Okay, we've covered the corner cases.  The normal calculation is to
     * convert the old measurement to a density (tuples per page), then
     * estimate the number of tuples in the unscanned pages using that figure,
     * and finally add on the number of tuples in the scanned pages.
     */
    old_density = old_rel_tuples / old_rel_pages;
    unscanned_pages = (double) total_pages - (double) scanned_pages;
    total_tuples = old_density * unscanned_pages + scanned_tuples;
    return floor(total_tuples + 0.5);

Because we'll re-scan the pages for not-yet-removable rows in subsequent
vacuums, the next vacuum will process the same pages again. By using
scanned_tuples = live_tuples, we basically remove not-yet-removable tuples
from reltuples, each time.

The commit *did* try to account for that to some degree:

+    /* also compute total number of surviving heap entries */
+    vacrelstats->new_rel_tuples =
+        vacrelstats->new_live_tuples + vacrelstats->new_dead_tuples;

but new_rel_tuples isn't used for pg_class.reltuples or pgstat.

This is pretty nasty. We use reltuples for a lot of things. And while analyze
might fix it sometimes, that won't reliably be the case, particularly when
there are repeated autovacuums due to a longrunning transaction - there's no
cause for auto-analyze to trigger again soon, while autovacuum will go at it
again and again.

Greetings,

Andres Freund