Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2021-May-10, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I reworeded it to:
>
>     <listitem>
>     <!--
>     Author: Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org>
>     2020-06-10 [c7eab0e97] Change default of password_encryption to scram-sha-256
>     -->
>
>     <para>
>     Limit the ways password_encryption can enable md5 hashing (Peter Eisentraut)
>     </para>
>
>     <para>
>     Previously on/true/yes/1 values enabled md5.  Now, only the string md5 does this.
>     </para>
>     </listitem>
>
> I also have this entry:
>
>     <listitem>
>     <!--
>     Author: Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org>
>     2020-06-10 [c7eab0e97] Change default of password_encryption to scram-sha-256
>     -->
>
>     <para>
>     Change password_encryption's default to scram-sha-256 (Peter Eisentraut)
>     </para>
>
>     <para>
>     Previously it was md5.
>     </para>
>     </listitem>
>
> I am hesitant to merge them since they are different changes.

Different?  The commit IDs look pretty similar to me, not to say exactly
identical.

Reading these, it's pretty unclear what password_encryption *is* in the
first place.  The item should say "the password_encryption server
parameter" -- that's what we have in the pg10 note for precursor commit
eb61136dc.

I would suggest

<para>
 Change the default of the password_encryption server parameter to
 scram-sha-256.
</para>

<para>
 Also, the legacy (and undocumented) boolean-like values which were
 previously synonyms of <literal>md5</literal> are no longer accepted.
</para>

--
Álvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile
"The Gord often wonders why people threaten never to come back after they've