Re: Reducing opr_sanity test's runtime under CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Reducing opr_sanity test's runtime under CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS
Дата
Re: Reducing opr_sanity test's runtime under CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-05-10 14:06:16 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hm.  But constantly flushing the caches should mean that they're never
> populated with very many entries at one time, which ought to forestall
> that, at least to some extent.

That's probably true...

> I wonder if there's anything we could do to make ResetCatalogCache
> faster?  It wouldn't help much for normal execution of course,
> but it might do something to bring CCA testing time down out of
> the stratosphere.

We could make the hashtables shrink, not just grow...

There's also the issue that most people, I assume, run CCA tests with -O0. In
a quick test that does make a big difference in e.g. ResetCatalogCache(). I
just added a function specific annotation to optimize just that function and
the overall time in my test shrank 10% or so.

Greetings,

Andres Freund