Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andreas Karlsson escribió:
> On 2/12/20 12:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > marcelo zen escribió:
> > > I'd rather have releases being made when the software is ready and not when
> > > the calendar year mandates it.
> > > It seems like a terrible idea.
> >
> > But we do actually release on calendar year.  While it seems not
> > unreasonable that we might fail to ship in time, that would likely lead
> > to one month, two months of delay.  Four months?  I don't think anybody
> > even imagines such a long delay.  It would be seen as utter,
> > unacceptable failure of our release team.
>
> It has actually happened once: PostgreSQL 9.5 was released in 2016-01-07.

We didn't have a formal release team back then :-)  It started with 9.6.
Some history: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/RMT  Anyway, I concede
that it's too recent history to say that this will never happen again.

Retroactively we could still have named "Postgres 15" the one released
on January 2016.  It was clearly the development line made during 2015,
it just got a little bit delayed.