Re: pgpool-II 3.7.5 with ssl

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: pgpool-II 3.7.5 with ssl
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Vikas Sharma <shavikas@gmail.com> writes:
>> We use postgresql 9.6 and pgpool 3.7.5 and we are now asked to enable ssl
>> for 'in transit'. I have setup the ssl server side on the
>> postgresql dbs ( master and slave) and can see in pg_stat_ssl that the
>> master slave communication and connections from the application are showing
>> ssl = 't'
>
>> I have set the parameters in pgpool.conf as well but not sure if the pgpool
>> is working with ssl enabled. because when I try to connect
>> with psql using pgpool I get below:
>
>> [postgres@pgool-server ~]$ psql 'host=localhost port=5432 dbname=postgres
>> user=user1  sslmode=require'
>> psql: server does not support SSL, but SSL was required
>
> Hm, is pgpool maybe using Unix-socket connections to the database?
> I'm not sure why pgpool would be trying to pass SSL-ness of the
> connection through to the server in that case, though.

Pgpool-II handles connection between client and Pgpool-II, and between
Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL separately. i.e. it is possible to establish
SSL connection between client and Pgpool-II while the connection
between Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL is established without SSL depending
the configuration of Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL (for example, if
Pgpool-II is configured to connect to PostgreSQL using Unix-socket,
SSL will be disabled between Pgpool-II and PostgreSQL as you said).

I think the error suggests that there's something wrong with Pgpool-II
SSL configuration. For example, if the pass to ssl key is wrong, you
see something like below in the pgpool log while pgpool is starting
up:

2019-12-11 08:53:23: pid 8506: WARNING:  could not access private key file "/usr/local/etc/server.keyk": No such file
ordirectory

> Seems like
> something you should discuss with the pgpool people.

True. The issue is almost nothing to do with PostgreSQL. I recommend
to discuss in the pgpool mailing list:

BTW, pgpool 3.7.5 is pretty old (released in 2018). The latest one in
3.7.x series is 3.7.12.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan