Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian

От stan
Тема Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 08:58:58AM -0800, Paul Jungwirth wrote:
> On 12/3/19 8:46 AM, stan wrote:> So, I have V12 running as the default on
> the machine I am testing this on
> > now:
> >
> > Ver Cluster Port Status Owner    Data directory              Log file
> > 11  main    5433 down   postgres /var/lib/postgresql/11/main
> > /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-11-main.log
> > 12  main    5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/12/main
> > /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-12-main.log
> >
> > BUT, I went to the directory where I have the exentsion's source, did a
> > make clean ; make ; make install, and the files were still installed in the
> > V11 tree. How can I instruct the system to put these in the V12 tree?
> >
> > The  extension in question is pgemailaddr if this matters, BTW.
>
> That extension (and every extension I've seen) uses Postgres's normal
> extension-building infrastructure, so it runs pg_config to learn where to
> put files. If you run pg_config on your system it will probably report
> directories belonging to v11. (That's a little surprising because on Ubuntu
> systems I've always had it report the latest version.)
>
> Many other Ubuntu Postgres commands accept a PGCLUSTER envvar to specific
> which cluster to use. If you want to add that to your pg_config you could do
> it like this: https://stackoverflow.com/a/43403193/122087 Then just set
> PGCLUSTER before building. (Make sure you `make clean` first.)

Indeed it does.

I to am surprised. What I find actually surprising is that it is the V12
server that is running.

Here is a bit of history.

I 1st installed V12 quite some time ago on this machine. At that point in
time the V12 client were active, but the V11 server was still active, and
the V12 one was, I believe, not running. So this morning I started trying to
do the upgrade. Using this as an reference:

//gist.gihttpsthub.com/dmitrykustov/27c673ec4f7abd716912e4c830910019

Since I did not know enogh, this failed. So I ran apt-get purge on the V12
server, got the V11 server working, and rebuilt my database, which was an
interesting learning experience, as I thought I had scripts to do this, but
of course the tests I had run on them were against a DB with various things
that somehow I had set up by hand, and not implemented in the scripts.
Learning experience for certain.

So, when I re-installed V12, it started either started up on the default
port, or the upgrade process that failed may have done something. I cannot
remember. So I probably should run the Debian alternative selection tool,
and set V1 as the default, but I really do not understand the consequences
of that vis a vi the upgrade tool.

Should I do this?

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

Сообщение: Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian
Сообщение: Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian