Re: could not stat promote trigger file leads to shutdown

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: could not stat promote trigger file leads to shutdown
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Nov-15, Tom Lane wrote:

> If we add a GUC-check-hook test, then the problem of misconfiguration
> is reduced to the previously unsolved problem that we have crappy
> feedback for erroneous on-the-fly configuration changes.  So it's
> still unsolved, but at least we've got one unsolved problem not two.

I am now against this kind of behavior, because nowadays it is common
to have external orchestrating systems stopping and starting postmaster
on their own volition.

If this kind of misconfiguration causes postmaster refuse to start, it
can effectively become a service-shutdown scenario which requires the
DBA to go temporarily mad.