[ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 19 2017 ==

От David Fetter
Тема [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 19 2017 ==
Дата
Список pgsql-announce
== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 19 2017 ==

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

pgMail 1.4 released.
https://github.com/captbrando/pgMail/releases/tag/v1.4

pg_prefaulter, a tool used to mitigate the effects of PostgreSQL replication
lag, released.
https://github.com/joyent/pg_prefaulter

== PostgreSQL Jobs for November ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2017-11/

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PGDAY Brasilia 2017 will take place December 2, 2017.  The CfP
is open at
http://www.pgdaybrasilia.com.br/submissao-de-palestra/

PGConf Local: Austin will be held December 4 - 5, 2017. Program available
and registration is now open at
https://www.pgconf.us/conferences/Austin2017

PGConf.ASIA 2017 will take place on December 4-6 2017 in Akihabara, Tokyo,
Japan.
http://www.pgconf.asia/EN/2017/

FOSDEM PGDay 2018, a one day conference held before the main FOSDEM event will
be held in Brussels, Belgium, on Feb 2nd, 2018.
https://2018.fosdempgday.org/

Prague PostgreSQL Developer Day 2018 (P2D2 2018) is a two-day
conference that will be held on February 14-15 2018 in Prague, Czech Republic.
The CfP is open until January 5, 2018 at https://p2d2.cz/callforpapers
http://www.p2d2.cz/

PGConf India 2018 will be on February 22-23, 2018 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Proposals are due via https://goo.gl/forms/F9hRjOIsaNasVOAz2 by November 15th, 2017.
http://pgconf.in/

PostgreSQL@SCaLE is a two day, two track event which takes place on
March 8-9, 2018, at Pasadena Convention Center, as part of SCaLE 16X.
The CfP is open through October 31, 2017 at
http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/16x/cfp

Nordic PGDay 2018 will be held in Oslo, Norway, at the Radisson Blu Hotel
Nydalen, on March 13, 2018.  The CfP is open through December 31, 2017 at
https://2018.nordicpgday.org/cfp/

pgDay Paris 2018 will be held in Paris, France at the Espace Saint-Martin, on
March 15 2018.  The CfP is open until December 31, 2017.
http://2017.pgday.paris/callforpapers/

PGConf APAC 2018 will be held in Singapore March 22-24, 2018.  The CfP is open
at http://2018.pgconfapac.org/cfp through December 4, 2017.
http://2018.pgconfapac.org/

The German-speaking PostgreSQL Conference 2018 will take place on April 13th,
2018 in Berlin.  The CfP is open until January 09, 2018 at
http://2018.pgconf.de/de/callforpapers.html and the conference site is at
http://2018.pgconf.de/

PGCon 2018 will take place in Ottawa on May 29 - June 2018.  The CfP goes out
soon.
https://www.pgcon.org/2018/

PGConf.Brazil 2018 will take place in São Paulo, Brazil on August 3-4 2018. The
CfP will open soon.
http://pgconf.com.br

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm EST5EDT.  Please send English
language ones to david@fetter.org, German language to pwn@pgug.de, Italian
language to pwn@itpug.org.

== Applied Patches ==

Noah Misch pushed:

- Don't call pgwin32_message_to_UTF16() without CurrentMemoryContext. PostgreSQL running as a Windows service crashed
uponcalling write_stderr() before MemoryContextInit().  This fix completes work started in
5735efee15540765315aa8c1a230575e756037f7. Messages this early contain only ASCII bytes; if we removed the
CurrentMemoryContextrequirement, the ensuing conversions would have no effect.  Back-patch to 9.3 (all supported
versions).Takayuki Tsunakawa, reviewed by Michael Paquier.  Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/0A3221C70F24FB45833433255569204D1F80CC73@G01JPEXMBYT05
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e02571b73f2d8124fe75d7408f9b63d4c5fe03b0

- Install Windows crash dump handler before all else.  Apart from calling write_stderr() on failure, the handler
dependson no PostgreSQL facilities. We have experienced crashes before reaching the former call site.  Given such an
earlycrash, this change cannot hurt and may produce a helpful dump. Absent an early crash, this change has no effect.
Back-patchto 9.3 (all supported versions).  Takayuki Tsunakawa Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/0A3221C70F24FB45833433255569204D1F80CD13@G01JPEXMBYT05
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cbfffee41c3f571fa3fcb26fca5eb11bc508f972

- MSVC: Rebuild spiexceptions.h when out of date.  Also, add a warning to catch future instances of naming a
nonexistentfile as a prerequisite.  Back-patch to 9.3 (all supported versions).
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9363b8b79b0f2475b5b607fe4e0aa73a86398223

Stephen Frost pushed:

- Fix typo.  Determinisitcally -> Deterministically Author: Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAB7nPqSauJ9gUMzj1aiXQVxqEkyko+WZ+wUac8_hB_M_bO6U_A@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cfd8c87e16bc77eceddb1227c8b865c8606e4ccd

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- Mention CREATE/DROP STATISTICS in event triggers docs.  The new commands are reported by event triggers, but they
weren'tdocumented as such.  Repair. Author: David Rowley Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAKJS1f-t-NE=AThB3zu1mKhdrm8PCb=++3e7x=Lf343xcrFHxQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ce4c86a656d2c0174d1ff1f64f38da07574562c0

- Simplify index_[constraint_]create API.  Instead of passing large swaths of boolean arguments, define some flags that
canbe used in a bitmask.  This makes it easier not only to figure out what each call site is doing, but also to add
somenew flags.  The flags are split in two -- one set for index_create directly and another for constraints.
index_create()itself receives both, and then passes down the latter to index_constraint_create(), which can also be
calledstandalone.  Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20171023151251.j75uoe27gajdjmlm@alvherre.pgsql Reviewed-by: Simon
Riggshttps://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a61f5ab986386628cf20b33971364475ce452412

Robert Haas pushed:

- Track in the plan the types associated with PARAM_EXEC parameters.  Up until now, we only tracked the number of
parameters,which was sufficient to allocate an array of Datums of the appropriate size, but not sufficient to, for
example,know how to serialize a Datum stored in one of those slots.  An upcoming patch wants to do that, so add this
trackingto make it possible. Patch by me, reviewed by Tom Lane and Amit Kapila.  Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoYqpxDKn8koHdW8BEKk8FMUL0=e8m2Qe=M+r0UBjr3tuQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e64861c79bda659ee384bc253f651401f953dadc

- Push target list evaluation through Gather Merge.  We already do this for Gather, but it got overlooked for Gather
Merge. Amit Kapila, with review and minor revisions by Rushabh Lathia and by me.  Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CAA4eK1KUC5Uyu7qaifxrjpHxbSeoQh3yzwN3bThnJsmJcZ-qtA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/44ae64c388bde6e4b077272570c84dedfb17bed3

- Add parallel_leader_participation GUC.  Sometimes, for testing, it's useful to have the leader do nothing but read
tuplesfrom workers; and it's possible that could work out better even in production.  Thomas Munro, reviewed by Amit
Kapilaand by me.  A few final tweaks by me.  Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CAEepm=2U++Lp3bNTv2Bv_kkr5NE2pOyHhxU=G0YTa4ZhSYhHiw@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e5253fdc4f5fe2f38aec47e08c6aee93f934183d

- Fix typo.  Jesper Pedersen Discussion: http://postgr.es/m/000f92d6-f623-95a5-b341-46e2c0495cea@redhat.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ebc189e12259cc28b9a09db000626fea1e2a3ffa

- Centralize executor-related partitioning code.  Some code is moved from partition.c, which has grown very quickly
lately;splitting the executor parts out might help to keep it from getting totally out of control.  Other code is moved
fromexecMain.c.  All is moved to a new file execPartition.c. get_partition_for_tuple now has a new interface that more
clearlyseparates executor concerns from generic concerns.  Amit Langote.  A slight comment tweak by me.  Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/1f0985f8-3b61-8bc4-4350-baa6d804cb6d@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4e5fe9ad19e14af360de7970caa8b150436c9dec

- Pass InitPlan values to workers via Gather (Merge).  If a PARAM_EXEC parameter is used below a Gather (Merge) but the
InitPlanthat computes it is attached to or above the Gather (Merge), force the value to be computed before starting
parallelismand pass it down to all workers.  This allows us to use parallelism in cases where it previously would have
hadto be rejected as unsafe.  We do - in this case - lose the optimization that the value is only computed if it's
actuallyused.  An alternative strategy would be to have the first worker that needs the value compute it, but one
downsideof that approach is that we'd then need to select a parallel-safe path to compute the parameter value; it
couldn'tfor example contain a Gather (Merge) node.  At some point in the future, we might want to consider both
approaches.Independent of that consideration, there is a great deal more work that could be done to make more kinds of
PARAM_EXECparameters parallel-safe.  This infrastructure could be used to allow a Gather (Merge) on the inner side of a
nestedloop (although that's not a very appealing plan) and cases where the InitPlan is attached below the Gather
(Merge)could be addressed as well using various techniques.  But this is a good start.  Amit Kapila, reviewed and
revisedby me.  Reviewing and testing from Kuntal Ghosh, Haribabu Kommi, and Tushar Ahuja.  Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CAA4eK1LV0Y1AUV4cUCdC+sYOx0Z0-8NAJ2Pd9=UKsbQ5Sr7+JQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e89a71fb449af2ef74f47be1175f99956cf21524

- Update postgresql.conf.sample to match pg_settings classificaitons.  A handful of settings, most notably
shared_preload_libraries,were just plain the wrong place compared to their assigned config_group value in guc.c (and
thuspg_settings).  In other cases the names of the sections in postgresql.conf.sample were mildly different from the
correspondingentries in config_group_names[].  Make it all consistent.  Adrián Escoms, reviewed by me. Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CACksPC2veEmFRYqwYepWYO9U7aFhAx6sYq+WqjTyHw7uV=E=pw@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/79f2d637139f117a7be2e751328b504f1decd9b7

- Fix typo in comment.  Etsuro Fujita Discussion: http://postgr.es/m/5A0D7C3D.80803@lab.ntt.co.jp
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6b2cd278a9d1e4643c419b598780aa55520f4f1a

- Fix broken cleanup interlock for GIN pending list.  The pending list must (for correctness) always be cleaned up by
vacuum,and should (for the avoidance of surprising behavior) always be cleaned up by an explicit call to
gin_clean_pending_list,but cleanup is optional when inserting.  The old logic got this backward: cleanup was forced if
(stats== NULL), but that's going to be *false* when vacuuming and *true* for inserts.  Masahiko Sawada, reviewed by me.
Discussion: http://postgr.es/m/CAD21AoBLUSyiYKnTYtSAbC+F=XDjiaBrOUEGK+zUXdQ8owfPKw@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3b2787e1f8f1eeeb6bd9565288ab210262705b56

- Remove redundant line from Makefile.  Masahiko Sawada, reviewed by Michael Paquier Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CAD21AoDFes_Mgye-1K89rmTgeU3RxYF3zgTjzCJVq2KzzcpC4A@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/575cead991398aac255cf6f0e333c6d59053cf55

- Set proargmodes for satisfies_hash_partition.  It appears that proargmodes should always be set for variadic
functions,but satifies_hash_partition had it as NULL.  In addition to fixing the problem, add a regression test to
guardagainst future mistakes of this type.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/be92769e4e63de949fe3ba29e0bf5c0a96f54ae3

- Update postgresql.conf.sample comment for bgwriter_lru_maxpages.  Commit 14ca9abfbe4643408ad6ed3279f2f6366cafb3f1
shouldhave done this, but did not. Jeff Janes Discussion:
http://postgr.es/m/CAMkU=1yWOvL+YFYzGM9yXSoWjxr_5_Ny78pPzLKQCkfgB7H-JQ@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/611fe7d4793ba6516e839dc50b5319b990283f4f

Tom Lane pushed:

- Allow running just selected steps of pgbench's initialization sequence.  This feature caters to specialized use-cases
suchas running the normal pgbench scenario with nonstandard indexes, or inserting other actions between steps of the
initializationsequence.  The normal sequence of initialization actions is broken down into half a dozen steps which can
beexecuted in a user-specified order, to the extent to which that's sensible.  The actions themselves aren't changed,
exceptto make them more robust against nonstandard uses: * all four tables are now dropped in one DROP command, to
reduceassumptions about what foreign key relationships exist; * all four tables are now truncated at the start of the
dataload step, for consistency; * the foreign key creation commands now specify constraint names, to prevent
accidentallycreating duplicate constraints by executing the 'f' step twice.  Make some cosmetic adjustments in the
messagesemitted by pgbench so that it's clear which steps are getting run, and so that the messages agree with the
documentednames of the steps.  In passing, fix failure to enforce that the -v option is used only in benchmarking mode.
Masahiko Sawada, reviewed by Fabien Coelho, editorialized a bit by me Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAD21AoCsz0ZzfCFcxYZ+PUdpkDd5VsCSG0Pre_-K1EgokCDFYA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/591c504fad0de88b559bf28e929d23672179a857

- Document changes in large-object privilege checking.  Commit 5ecc0d738 removed the hard-wired superuser checks in
lo_importand lo_export in favor of protecting them with SQL permissions, but failed to adjust the documentation to
match. Fix that, and add a <caution> paragraph pointing out the nontrivial security hazards involved with actually
grantingsuch permissions.  (It's still better than ALLOW_DANGEROUS_LO_FUNCTIONS, though.) Also, commit ae20b23a9 caused
largeobject read/write privilege to be checked during lo_open() rather than in the actual read or write calls.
Documentthat. Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAB7nPqRHmNOYbETnc_2EjsuzSM00Z+BWKv9sy6tnvSd5gWT_JA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6d776522d243d38faca6924d9b3c7cfaf0c4860d

- Rearrange c.h to create a "compiler characteristics" section.  Generalize section 1 to handle stuff that is
principallyabout the compiler (not libraries), such as attributes, and collect stuff there that had been dropped into
variousother parts of c.h.  Also, push all the gettext macros into section 8, so that section 0 is really just
inclusionsrather than inclusions and random other stuff.  The primary goal here is to get pg_attribute_aligned()
definedbefore section 3, so that we can use it with int128.  But this seems like good cleanup anyway.  This patch just
movesmacro definitions around, and shouldn't result in any changes in generated code. But I'll push it out separately
tosee if the buildfarm agrees.  Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20171110185747.31519.28038@wrigleys.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/91aec93e6089a5ba49cce0aca3bf7f7022d62ea4

- Prevent int128 from requiring more than MAXALIGN alignment.  Our initial work with int128 neglected alignment
considerations,an oversight that came back to bite us in bug #14897 from Vincent Lachenal.  It is unsurprising that
int128might have a 16-byte alignment requirement; what's slightly more surprising is that even notoriously lax Intel
chipssometimes enforce that.  Raising MAXALIGN seems out of the question: the costs in wasted disk and memory space
wouldbe significant, and there would also be an on-disk compatibility break. Nor does it seem very practical to try to
allowsome data structures to have more-than-MAXALIGN alignment requirement, as we'd have to push knowledge of that
throughoutvarious code that copies data structures around.  The only way out of the box is to make type int128 conform
tothe system's alignment assumptions.  Fortunately, gcc supports that via its __attribute__(aligned()) pragma; and
sincewe don't currently support int128 on non-gcc-workalike compilers, we shouldn't be losing any platform support this
way. Although we could have just done pg_attribute_aligned(MAXIMUM_ALIGNOF) and called it a day, I did a little bit of
extrawork to make the code more portable than that: it will also support int128 on compilers without
__attribute__(aligned()),if the native alignment of their 128-bit-int type is no more than that of int64.  Add a
regressiontest case that exercises the one known instance of the problem, in parallel aggregation over a bigint column.
Thiswill need to be back-patched, along with the preparatory commit 91aec93e6.  But let's see what the buildfarm makes
ofit first.  Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20171110185747.31519.28038@wrigleys.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7518049980be1d90264addab003476ae105f70d4

- Further refactoring of c.h and nearby files.  This continues the work of commit 91aec93e6 by getting rid of a lot of
Windows-specificfunny business in "section 0".  Instead of including pg_config_os.h in different places depending on
platform,let's standardize on putting it before the system headers, and in consequence reduce win32.h to just what has
toappear before the system headers or the body of c.h (the latter category seems to include only PGDLLIMPORT and
PGDLLEXPORT). The rest of what was in win32.h is moved to a new sub-include of port.h, win32_port.h.  Some of what was
inport.h seems to better belong there too.  It's possible that I missed some declaration ordering dependency that needs
tobe preserved, but hopefully the buildfarm will find that out in short order.  Unlike the previous commit, no
back-patch,since this is just cleanup not a prerequisite for a bug fix. Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/29650.1510761080@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ed9b3606dadb461aac57e41ac509f3892095a394

- Fix bogus logic for checking data dirs' versions within pg_upgrade.  Commit 9be95ef15 failed to cure all of the
redundancyhere: we were actually calling get_major_server_version() three times for each of the old and new data
directories. While that's not enormously expensive, it's still sloppy.  A. Akenteva Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/f9266a85d918a3cf3a386b5148aee666@postgrespro.ru
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/164d6338785b0b6c5a1ac30ee3e4b63bd77441ba

- Define _WINSOCK_DEPRECATED_NO_WARNINGS in all MSVC builds.  Commit 0fb54de9a thought that this was only needed in
VS2015and later, but buildfarm member woodlouse shows that at least VS2013 whines as well.  Let's just define it
regardlessof MSVC version; it should be harmless enough in older releases. Also, in the wake of ed9b3606d, it seems
betterto put it in win32_port.h where <winsock2.h> is included.  Since this is only suppressing a pedantic compiler
warning,I don't feel a need for a back-patch.  Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20124.1510850225@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ff2d4356f8b18f5489e5d7b1f8b4b5357d088c8c

- Make PL/Python handle domain-type conversions correctly.  Fix PL/Python so that it can handle domains over composite,
andso that it enforces domain constraints correctly in other cases that were not always done properly before.  Notably,
itdidn't do arrays of domains right (oversight in commit c12d570fa), and it failed to enforce domain constraints when
returninga composite type containing a domain field, and if a transform function is being used for a domain's base type
thenit failed to enforce domain constraints on the result.  Also, in many places it missed checking domain constraints
onnull values, because the plpy_typeio code simply wasn't called for Py_None. Rather than try to band-aid these
problems,I made a significant refactoring of the plpy_typeio logic.  The existing design of recursing for array and
compositemembers is extended to also treat domains as containers requiring recursion, and the APIs for the module are
cleanedup and simplified.  The patch also modifies plpy_typeio to rely on the typcache more than it did before (which
waspretty much not at all).  This reduces the need for repetitive lookups, and lets us get rid of an ad-hoc scheme for
detectingchanges in composite types.  I added a couple of small features to typcache to help with that.  Although some
ofthis is fixing bugs that long predate v11, I don't think we should risk a back-patch: it's a significant amount of
codechurn, and there've been no complaints from the field about the bugs.  Tom Lane, reviewed by Anthony Bykov
Discussion:https://postgr.es/m/24449.1509393613@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/687f096ea9da82d267f1809a5f3fdfa027092045

- Clean up warnings in MinGW builds.  Experimentation with modern MinGW (specifically the 5.0.2 version packaged for
Fedora26) shows that its version of sys/stat.h *does* provide S_IRGRP and friends, contrary to the expectation of
win32_port.h. This results in an astonishing number of compiler warnings, and perhaps in incorrect code --- I'm not
sureif the nonzero values supplied by MinGW's header actually do anything.  Hence, adjust win32_port.h to only define
thesemacros if <sys/stat.h> doesn't.  This might be worth back-patching, but given the lack of complaints so far, I'm
nottoo excited about it. https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/09a777447a858a01ac4d547d678ba295d9542c3b

- Prevent to_number() from losing data when template doesn't match exactly. Non-data template patterns would consume
characterswhether or not those characters were what the pattern expected, for example SELECT TO_NUMBER('1234',
'9,999');produced 134 because the '2' got eaten by the comma pattern.  This seems undesirable, not least because it
doesn'thappen in Oracle.  For the ',' and 'G' template patterns, we can fix this by consuming characters only if they
matchwhat the pattern would output.  For non-data patterns such as 'L' and 'TH', it seems impractical to tighten things
upto the point of consuming only exact matches to what the pattern would output; but we can improve matters quite a lot
byredefining the behavior as "consume only characters that aren't digits, signs, decimal point, or comma".  Also, fix
itso that the behavior is to consume the number of *characters* the pattern would output, not the number of *bytes*.
Theold coding would do surprising things with non-ASCII currency symbols, for example.  (It would be good to apply that
rulefor literal text as well, but this commit only fixes it for non-data patterns.) Oliver Ford, reviewed by Thomas
Munroand Nathan Wagner, and whacked around a bit more by me Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAGMVOdvpbMqPf9XWNzOwBpzJfErkydr_fEGhmuDGa015z97mwg@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e87d4965bd39e4d0d56346c1bbe9361d3eb9ff0a

- Provide modern examples of how to auto-start Postgres on macOS.  The scripts in contrib/start-scripts/osx don't work
atall on macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) or later, because they depend on SystemStarter which Apple deprecated long ago and
removedin 10.10.  Add a new subdirectory contrib/start-scripts/macos with scripts that use the newer launchd
infrastructure. Since this problem is independent of which Postgres version you're using, back-patch to all supported
branches. Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/31338.1510763554@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ac3b9626812b1dd1482ec201711f26af733800f9

- Remove contrib/start-scripts/osx/.  Since those scripts haven't worked at all in macOS releases of 2014 and later,
andaren't the recommended way to do it on any release since 2005, there seems little point carrying them into the
future. It's very unlikely that anyone would be installing PG >= 11 on a macOS release where they couldn't use
contrib/start-scripts/macos/.Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/31338.1510763554@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/527878635030489e464d965b3b64f6caf178f641

- Fix quoted-substring handling in format parsing for to_char/to_number/etc. This code evidently intended to treat
backslashas an escape character within double-quoted substrings, but it was sufficiently confused that cases like
..."foo\\"...did not work right: the second backslash managed to quote the double-quote after it, despite being quoted
itself. Rewrite to get that right, while preserving the existing behavior outside double-quoted substrings, which is
thatbackslash isn't special except in the combination \".  Comparing to Oracle, it seems that their version of
to_char()for timestamps allows literal alphanumerics only within double quotes, while non-alphanumerics are allowed
outsidequotes; backslashes aren't special anywhere; there is no way at all to emit a literal double quote.  (Bizarrely,
theirto_char() for numbers is different; it doesn't allow literal text at all AFAICT.)  The fact that they don't treat
backslashas special justifies our existing behavior for backslash outside double quotes.  I considered making backslash
insidedouble quotes act the same way (ie, special only if before "), which in a green field would be a more consistent
behavior. But that would likely break more existing SQL code than what this patch does.  Add some test cases
illustratingthis behavior.  (Only the last new case actually changes behavior in this commit.) Little of this behavior
wasdocumented, either, so fix that.  Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/3626.1510949486@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/63ca86318dc3d6a768eed78efbc6ca014a0622a8

- Improve to_date/to_number/to_timestamp behavior with multibyte characters. The documentation says that these
functionsskip one input character per literal (non-pattern) format character.  Actually, though, they skipped one input
*byte*per literal *byte*, which could be hugely confusing if either data or format contained multibyte characters.  To
fix,adjust the FormatNode representation and parse_format() so that multibyte format characters are stored as one
FormatNodenot several, and adjust the data-skipping bits to advance by pg_mblen() not necessarily one byte.  There's no
user-visiblebehavior change on the to_char() side, although the internal representation changes.  Commit e87d4965b had
alreadyfixed most places where we skip characters on the basis of non-literal format patterns to advance by characters
notbytes, but this gets one more place, the SKIP_THth macro.  I think everything in formatting.c gets that right now.
It'dbe nice to have some regression test cases covering this behavior; but of course there's no way to do so in an
encoding-agnosticway, and many of the interesting aspects would also require unportable locale selections.  So I've not
botheredhere. Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/28186.1510957703@sss.pgh.pa.us
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/976a1a48fc35cde3c750982be64f872c4de4d343

- Merge near-duplicate code in RI triggers.  Merge ri_restrict_del and ri_restrict_upd into one function ri_restrict.
Createa function ri_setnull that is the common implementation of RI_FKey_setnull_del and RI_FKey_setnull_upd.  Likewise
createa function ri_setdefault that is the common implementation of RI_FKey_setdefault_del and RI_FKey_setdefault_upd.
Allof these pairs of functions were identical except for needing to check for no-actual-key-change in the UPDATE cases;
theone extra if-test is a small price to pay for saving so much code.  Aside from removing about 400 lines of
essentiallyduplicate code, this allows us to recognize that we were uselessly caching two identical plans whenever
therewere pairs of triggers using these duplicated functions (which is likely very common).  Ildar Musin, reviewed by
IldusKurbangaliev Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/ca7064a7-6adc-6f22-ca47-8615ba9425a5@postgrespro.ru
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4797f9b519995ceca5d6b8550b5caa2ff6d19347

- Fix compiler warning in rangetypes_spgist.c.  On gcc 7.2.0, comparing pointer to (Datum) 0 produces a warning.  Treat
itas a simple pointer to avoid that; this is more consistent with comparable code elsewhere, anyway.  Tomas Vondra
Discussion:https://postgr.es/m/99410021-61ef-9a9a-9bc8-f733ece637ee@2ndquadrant.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/52f63bd916184b5f07130c293475d0cf4f202a86

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Remove TRUE and FALSE.  Code should be using true and false.  Existing code can be changed to those in a backward
compatibleway.  The definitions in the ecpg header files are left around to avoid upsetting those users unnecessarily.
Reviewed-by:Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6337865f36da34e9c89aaa292f976bde6df0b065

- Refactor routine to test connection to SSL server.  Move the sub-routines wrappers to check if a connection to a
serveris fine or not into the test main module. This is useful for other tests willing to check connectivity into a
server. Author: Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/642bafa0c5f9f08d106a14f31429e0e0c718b603

- Support channel binding 'tls-unique' in SCRAM.  This is the basic feature set using OpenSSL to support the feature.
Inorder to allow the frontend and the backend to fetch the sent and expected TLS Finished messages, a PG-like API is
addedto be able to make the interface pluggable for other SSL implementations.  This commit also adds a infrastructure
tofacilitate the addition of future channel binding types as well as libpq parameters to control the SASL mechanism
namesand channel binding names.  Those will be added by upcoming commits.  Some tests are added to the SSL test suite
totest SCRAM authentication with channel binding.  Author: Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> Reviewed-by: Peter
Eisentraut<peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9288d62bb4b6f302bf13bb2fed3783b61385f315

- Consistently catch errors from Python _New() functions.  Python Py*_New() functions can fail and return NULL in
out-of-memoryconditions.  The previous code handled that inconsistently or not at all.  This change organizes that
better. If we are in a function that is called from Python, we just check for failure and return NULL ourselves, which
willcause any exception information to be passed up.  If we are called from PostgreSQL, we consistently create an "out
ofmemory" error.  Reviewed-by: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d0aa965c0a0ac2ff7906ae1b1dad50a7952efa56

Andrew Dunstan pushed:

- Disable test_session_hooks test module until buildfarm issues are sorted out.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9989f92aabdc2015c9dc64b9df4cdeceecf75e47

- Disable installcheck tests for test_session_hooks.  The module requires a preloaded library and the defect can't be
curedby a LOAD instruction in the test script. To achieve this we override the installcheck target in the module's
Makefile,and exclude ithe module in vcregress.pl.  Along the way, revert commit 9989f92aabd.
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/745948422c799c1b9f976ee30f21a7aac050e0f3

- Add hooks for session start and session end.  These hooks can be used in loadable modules. A simple test module is
included. Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20170720204733.40f2b7eb.nagata@sraoss.co.jp Fabrízio de Royes Mello  and Yugo
NagataReviewed by Michael Paquier and Aleksandr Parfenov
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cd8ce3a22c0b48d32ffe6543837ba3bb647ac2b2

- Back out the session_start and session_end hooks feature.  It's become apparent during testing that there are
problemswith at least the testing regime. I don't think we should have it without a working test regime, and the
difficultiesmight indicate implementation problems anyway, so I'm backing out the whole thing until that's sorted out.
Thisreverts commits 7459484 9989f92 cd8ce3a
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/98d54bb7790d5fb0a77173d5e5e3c655901b472c

Andres Freund pushed:

- Provide DSM segment to ExecXXXInitializeWorker functions.  Previously, executor nodes running in parallel worker
processesdidn't have access to the dsm_segment object used for parallel execution.  In order to support resource
managementbased on DSM segment lifetime, they need that.  So create a ParallelWorkerContext object to hold it and pass
itto all InitializeWorker functions.  Author: Thomas Munro Reviewed-By: Andres Freund Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAEepm=2W=cOkiZxcg6qiFQP-dHUe09aqTrEMM7yJDrHMhDv_RA@mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7082e614c0dd504cdf49c4d5a692159f22e78f9d

- Remove BufFile's isTemp flag.  The isTemp flag controls whether buffile.c chops BufFile data up into 1GB segments on
disk. Since it was badly named and always true, get rid of it.  Author: Thomas Munro (based on suggestion by Peter
Geoghegan)Reviewed-By: Peter Geoghegan, Andres Freund Discussion:
https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-Wz%3D%2B9Rfqh5UdvdW9rGezdhrMGGH-JL1X9FXXVZdeeGeOJA%40mail.gmail.com
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/11e264517dff7a911d9e6494de86049cab42cde3

== Pending Patches ==

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to implement ldaps.

Noah Misch sent in a patch to fix building PL/Perl with ActiveState Perl 5.22
and MSVC.

Mark Rofail sent in another revision of a patch to implement foriegn key arrays.

Anthony Bykov sent in another revision of a patch to add a PL/PythonU TRANSFORM
for JSONB.

Dean Rasheed sent in another revision of a patch to add a RLS summary table to
the documentation.

Fabien COELHO sent in another revision of a patch to fix a pgbench regression
test failure.

Konstantin Knizhnik sent in a patch to the PostgrSQL FDW which enables
concurrent execution of aggregates by all remote servers.

Álvaro Herrera sent in three more revisions of a patch to implement indexes for
partitioned tables.

Oliver Ford sent in another revision of a patch to fix number skipping in
to_number().

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to implement parallel hash.

Masahiko Sawada sent in two revisions of a patch to fix a bug where
ginInsertCleanup called from vacuum could still miss tuples to be deleted.

Andres Freund sent in two more revisions of a patch to fix freezing of a dead
HOT-updated tuple.

Moon Insung sent in a patch to add a buffer state column to pg_buffercache and
add a function to decode buffer state.

Andrew Dunstan sent in another revision of a patch to add a toast_tuple_target
parameter to tables.

Peter Eisentraut sent in another revision of a patch to implement SQL
procedures.

Anthony Bykov and Pavel Stěhule traded patches to add PL/Perl TRANSFORMs for
JSONB.

Alexander Korotkov sent in another revision of a patch to implement incremental
sort.

Rushabh Lathia sent in another revision of a patch to implement parallel B-tree
index build sorting.

Beena Emerson sent in another revision of a patch to implement runtime partition
pruning.

Ildus Kurbangaliev sent in another revision of a patch to implement custom
compression methods.

David Rowley sent in another revision of a patch to implement bms_add_range().

Nikita Glukhov sent in another revision of a patch to implement SQL/JSON.

David Rowley sent in another revision of a patch to remove [Merge]Append nodes
which contain a single subpath.

Robert Haas sent in another revision of a patch to implement wire protocol
version negotiation.

Masahiko Sawada sent in a patch to fix a bug that manifested as a failure with
user-defined data types in logical replication.

Michaël Paquier and Masahiko Sawada traded patches to fix an assertion failure
when the non-exclusive pg_stop_backup aborted.

Jeevan Chalke sent in another revision of a patch to implement partition-wise
aggregation/grouping.

Peter Eisentraut sent in another revision of a patch to implement transaction
control in PL procedures.

Michaël Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to add timeline ID in
backup_label file.

Stas Kelvich sent in a patch to create a flag in pgproc indicating that hw lock
is acquired and include in RunningXacts only transaction with this flag set.

Brian Cloutier sent in a patch to add PGDLLIMPORT lines to some variables for
use on Windows.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in another revision of a patch to add columns
pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum_index_scans, pg_stat_all_tables.vacuum_required,
and pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum_status/autovacuum_fail_count.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in another revision of a patch to fix walsender timeouts
when decoding a large transaction.

Masahiko Sawada sent in a doc patch to add a missing wal_receiver_status_interval
to the subscribers section.

Fabrízio de Royes Mello sent in another revision of a patch to add hooks for
session start and session end.

Amit Langote sent in another revision of a patch to prune partitions faster.

Robert Haas sent in a patch to fix multiple problems with
satisfies_hash_partition.

Amit Langote sent in a patch to fix a bug in default range partition and
constraint exclusion.

Amit Kapila sent in another revision of a patch to pass eflags to workers.

Tomas Vondra sent in another revision of a patch to implement multivariate
histograms and MCV lists.

Tomas Vondra sent in another revision of a patch to implement BRIN multi-range

GaoZengqi (高增琦) sent in another revision of a patch to add a dependency
between client executes and static libraries.

Alik Khilazhev sent in another revision of a patch to add a zipfian distribution
in pgbench.