Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Major Version in (Citus) Package Name?

От Christoph Berg
Тема Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Major Version in (Citus) Package Name?
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Jason Petersen 2017-01-10 <989C3180-B13F-474E-A3E6-D10198BAE122@citusdata.com>
> Been meaning to shoot you a quick email…
>
> Our “major” releases (Citus 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, etc.) are generally binary incompatible; I had paid very careful
attentionto giving sysadmins the tools to appropriately lock to a particular lineage (i.e. only getting 5.2.x versions)
andour patch releases are drop-in compatible… however, I’ve been told most users do not think to lock to a given
version,no matter how loudly we may shout our versioning conventions.

> That all said, we’re toying with the idea of creating separate packages (i.e. citus-60, citus-61, or similar names)
tobetter “wall off” our binary-incompatible releases. I believe PostGIS does something similar.

> How common is this kind of thing? Will we screw up {PGDG, Debian} if we do so? Or maybe we remain ‘citus’ in Debian
butchange to citus-xy in PGDG and our own repositories (suitably using Provides, metapackages, the works)?

> I’ve been exploring the ramifications of such a change locally for a bit and we’re pretty sure we want to do
something(based at least on how loudly the Citus Cloud team is complaining about “silent breaking upgrades”).

> Any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jason,

I would very much prefer if the packages on apt.postgresql.org matched
what is in Debian. That is, it's the same source package, with
possibly a different set of binary packages built, depending on the
PostgreSQL versions targeted.

Re including the citus version in the .deb package name, you can do
that if you want to make sure users don't get upgraded at the wrong
time. If you do that, make sure the packages are either
co-installable, or properly conflict with each other so that users who
do upgrade aren't facing weird errors.

I tried to find information on your webpage about which packages there
are, or which versions are supported, but couldn't spot anything. Do
you support several releases in parallel? The postgis packages still
use one single source package, so once the switch to a new release is
done, the old .deb files stay around, but there's no easy way to
rebuild them for new versions. Unless you really really intend to
properly support several versions in parallel, I'd recommend to stick
with a single source package. (And with Debian Stretch frozen, you
wouldn't get a citus-61 source package in there anyway at the moment.)

Christoph

Вложения

От: apt.postgresql.org repository
Сообщение: [pgsql-pkg-debian] postgresql-unit updated to version 2.0.pgdg+1
От: apt.postgresql.org repository
Сообщение: [pgsql-pkg-debian] pgpool2 updated to version 3.6.1-1.pgdg+1