Re: Bug in to_timestamp().

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Bug in to_timestamp().
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Thursday, June 23, 2016, Alex Ignatov <a.ignatov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>
> > Arguing just like that one can say that we don't even need exception like
> > "division by zero". Just use well-formed numbers in denominator...
> > Input data  sometimes can be generated automagically. Without exception
> > throwing debugging stored function containing to_timestamp can be painful.
>
> to_timestamp with its present behavior is, IMO, a poorly designed function
> that would never be accepted today.

I'm not sure about that.

to_timestamp was added to improve compatibility with Oracle, by commit
b866d2e2d794.  I suppose the spec should follow what's documented here,

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/functions193.htm
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/sql_elements004.htm#i34924

and that wherever we deviate from that, is a bug that should be fixed.