Re: Perf Benchmarking and regression.

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Perf Benchmarking and regression.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2016-06-03 13:42:09 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> >> Note that other operating systems like windows and freebsd *alreaddy*
> >> write back much more aggressively (independent of this change). I seem
> >> to recall you yourself being quite passionately arguing that the linux
> >> behaviour around this is broken.
>
> > Sure, but being unhappy about the Linux behavior doesn't mean that I
> > want our TPS on Linux to go down.  Whether I like the behavior or not,
> > we have to live with it.
>
> Yeah.  Bug or not, it's reality for lots of our users.

That means we need to address it. Which is what the feature does. So
yes, some linux specific tuning might need to be tweaked in the more
extreme cases. But that's better than relying on linux' extreme
writeback behaviour, which changes every few releases to boot. From the
tuning side this makes shared buffer sizing more common between unixoid
OSs.

Andres