Re: Updatable view?

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: Updatable view?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 31 Jul 2015 10:15, "Tatsuo Ishii" <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>>
>> > I think it would be nice to have... but not to the point of working on
>> > it myself.
>> >
>> > Might be worth an email to -general to see how many people have
>> > immediate use for it.
>>
>> What I am thinking about is,
>>
>> 1) Implement certain class of updatable views allowed in SQL:1999
>>    (UNION ALL, natural joins)
>>
>> 2) Anything beyond #1 (I have no idea for now)
>>
>> Let me see how people are interested in...
>>

> How does the standard define it? Do they also follow the same MVCC
> semantics as normal tables?

In my understanding there's no such concept like MVCC in the standard.
Anyway in our implementation, we should keep the MVCC semantics of
course.

> I am concerned that we may end up losing read
> performance for views if we implement this (unless I am missing something)

Why do updatable views lose read performance? I thought the only
performance concern will be in the update/delete/insert operations.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan