Re: pg_rewind

От Christoph Berg
Тема Re: pg_rewind
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Georges Racinet 2015-02-08 <54D7542E.2090503@anybox.fr>
> Hello list,
>
> first message here, so first things first: thank you all for
> apt.postgresql.org (apt.p.o for short). We've been using and
> recommending it for a while at Anybox, and that has been tremendously
> useful.

Welcome :)

> Now to my question:
>
> I'd like to evaluate pg_rewind [1] with the idea to maybe use it on our
> production replica sets.
> Are there any plans to package and include it in apt.p.o ? If not, and
> we turn out willing to use it, I'd probably try and package it anyway,
> and would look for the proper place to contribute that.

There's no plans for that, but if you provide a proper package, we can
include it.

> As of now, pg_rewind is not in contrib/ ; would that be against apt.p.o
> policy ?

We have plenty of non-core modules as packages.

> Lastly, the FAQ seems to suggest that apt.p.o is actually downstream of
> Debian unstable ("rebuilt"), but I'm not sure to get it right,
> especially for stuff that's not part of PostgreSQL releases.

That means that the packages on apt.postgresql.org should preferably
be in unstable as well, but that's not a hard requirement. You'll have
to argue with me if you don't want that, though ;)

> [1] https://github.com/vmware/pg_rewind (has separate branches for 9.3
> and 9.4)

Hmm that might be a bit of an issue - the source packages usually
support several PG versions in parallel, and then there's individual
binary packages built from that. But it's not like that's an
unsolvable problem.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/