Re: Immediate standby promotion

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Immediate standby promotion
Дата
Re: Immediate standby promotion  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-09-25 18:18:09 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 25 September 2014 16:29, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > I think that's not really related. Such a promotion doesn't cause data
> > loss in the sense of loosing data a *clueful* operator wanted to
> > keep. Yes, it can be used wrongly, but it's far from alone in that.
>
> Yes it does cause data loss. The clueful operator has no idea where
> they are so there is no "used rightly" in that case.

What? There definitely are cases where you don't need to know that to
the T. Just think of the - quite frequently happening - need to promote
a standby to run tests or reporting queries that can't be run on a
standby.

Sure, you shouldn't use it if you expect a very specific set of the data
being there, but that's not always necessary. And that's why it should
never, ever be the default.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Сообщение: Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression
Сообщение: Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression