Re: BUG #9555: pg_dump for tables with inheritance recreates the table with the wrong order of columns

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: BUG #9555: pg_dump for tables with inheritance recreates the table with the wrong order of columns
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:
> > majid@apsalar.com wrote:
> >> Reproduction case:
> >>
> >> create table A(a int, b int, c int);
> >> create table B(a int, c int);
> >> alter table A inherit B;
>
> > I wonder if the real fix here is to have ALTER / INHERIT error out of
> > the columns in B are not a prefix of those in A.
>
> Years ago, we sweated quite a lot of blood to make these cases work.
> I'm not thrilled about throwing away all that effort because one person
> doesn't like the behavior.

Hm, well in that case it makes sense to consider the original
suggestion: if the columns in the parent are not a prefix of those of
the child, use ALTER INHERIT after creating both tables rather than
CREATE TABLE INHERITS.

It'd be a lot of new code in pg_dump though.  I am not volunteering ...