Re: BUG #8271: Configure warning: sys/ucred.h: present but cannot be compiled

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: BUG #8271: Configure warning: sys/ucred.h: present but cannot be compiled
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 2013-06-30 10:17:50 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> >>I'm not sure what you're asking here.
> >I think he's wishing that if configure prints something like
> >
> >configure: WARNING: sys/ucred.h: present but cannot be compiled
> >configure: WARNING: sys/ucred.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
> >configure: WARNING: sys/ucred.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> >configure: WARNING: sys/ucred.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
> >configure: WARNING: sys/ucred.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
> >configure: WARNING: sys/ucred.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
> >configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------------- ##
> >configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org ##
> >configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------------- ##
> >
> >that that ought to be treated as a failure not a success.  I'm not
> >entirely sure that I agree, but it's an arguable position.

Exactly. That we presumably had this warning showing up for more than 2
years seems to indicate we should think about doing something different.

> Oh. Well, if that's a failure then it's up to configure to treat it as one.
> The buildfarm doesn't second-guess the exit status of the various steps, and
> it doesn't report warnings - if it did we'd be flooded.

I guess we don't want to do that because it would probably hurt people
building in unusual environments where some variants of this very well
can show up without stopping pg from being built. Many people on such
problems will have no difficulties fixing a minor compilation error, but
fixing configure.in + installing the correct autoconf version is a
higher barrier.
We could add a --strict-mode or so to configure, but afair the handling
of that warning is burried in autoconf itself making this harder. So
I thought adding some grep like thing to the buildfarm might be the
easiest solution.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: BUG #8271: Configure warning: sys/ucred.h: present but cannot be compiled
Сообщение: Re: BUG #8271: Configure warning: sys/ucred.h: present but cannot be compiled