Re: Resources for learning PostgreSQL

От Paul M Foster
Тема Re: Resources for learning PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:43:09AM -0700, dan06 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've used mysql for sometime now, and I'd like to broaden my db
> knowledge/experience to include postgresql. Can anyone recommend any books
> or other resources that could help me along? Thanks.

The PostgreSQL website has excellent documentation (second only to
php.net). If you already know MySQL, then you're 2/3 of the way there.
You just need to get used to the quirks of PostgreSQL. For books, I have
two:

Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL 2/e by Matthew & Stones

PostgreSQL 2/e by Douglas & Douglas

These are better than the original PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts
by Momjian (sorry, Bruce). That book struck me as mostly a transcription
of the existing documentation at the time. It was very helpful when
there were no other PostgreSQL books out there.

But you may not even need the books, if you peruse the website.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster