Re: Question about gettext licensing

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Question about gettext licensing
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:56:47AM +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 August 2009 01:35:36 Vikram Patil wrote:
> > I was concerned about gettext licensing. I was able to build
> > PostgreSql with gettext library.  But this project is distributed
> > under GNU license.
> >
> > So I would like to know if we want to distribute product
> > commercially under different licenses, will it be okay ?  If not
> > then what approach usually companies, which distribute PostgreSql
> > as database, follow?
>
> The gettext package contains the processing tools, but the run-time
> support is in your C library.  So this is not different from
> compiling with GCC while the run-time support is again in the C
> library.

The library you really need to think about is libreadline, which is
GPL, so if you ship a psql binary using it, your psql is also GPL.
This may or may not concern you.

If it does concern you, one alternative is to compile psql against
libedit.  Another is not include readline support in it at all.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: Question about gettext licensing
Сообщение: Re: Question about gettext licensing