Re: EDB taking over? Another heart attack.

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: EDB taking over? Another heart attack.
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Joshua Kramer wrote:

> Not to jump into the fray, but:
>
> > I find it *very* offensive that EnterpriseDB claims PostgreSQL 8.4 to be
> > their product. That's what I can read from that page.
>
> Ascertaining this from the EDB download page is a bit of a stretch,
> especially considering the line "No support can be provided for these
> files" (when downloading the Zip files).
>
> However, this line in the release notes inside the zip file is something
> I'd have a problem with, if I were Command Prompt or 2ndQuadrant:  "or if
> you need a more formal support arrangement, please visit (EDB Sales URL)".
> It ought to be changed to "Please visit one of the commercial providers
> found at (Postgres Community Site URL)"

Ah, OK, I found that file you are looking at.  It is created when
Postgres is installed and for Linux it is in:

    /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/doc/installation-notes.html

and can be accessed from the GUI using PostgreSQL
8.4/Documentation/Installation Notes.  I am attaching the file for
reference.  The problem paragraph is:

    For Installer support, please use the EnterpriseDB forums at
    http://forums.enterprisedb.com/, or if you need a more formal support
    arrangement, please visit
    http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/purchase.do.

I think this paragraph needs to be rewritten.  The first part is talking
about using EnterpriseDB forums for _installer_ problems (which makes
sense), but the "more formal support" is confusing.  Are they saying for
formal installer support?  Because the next paragraph clearly says where
to get Postgres support:

    For PostgreSQL support, please use the appropriate mailing
    list.  A complete list may be found at
    http://www.postgresql.org/lists.html.

And shouldn't we be using the community support URL and not the mailing
list URL:

    http://www.postgresql.org/support/

Anyway, that "formal support" paragraph needs to be modified.  If it
relates to formal _installer_ support, it needs clarification.  If it is
for general support, it should be removed, and I would like to know how
it got in there in the first place.

Сообщение: Re: The case for the One-Click Installer
Сообщение: Re: The case for the One-Click Installer