Re: Improving compressibility of WAL files

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Improving compressibility of WAL files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> [090109 12:22]:

> > Yeah: the archiver process doesn't have that information available.

> Am I being really dim here - why isn't the first record in the WAL file
> a fixed-length record containing e.g. txid_start, time_start, txid_end,
> time_end, length? Write it once when you start using the file and once
> when it's finished.

It would break the WAL "write-block/sync-block" forward only progress of
the xlog, which avoids the whole torn-page problem that the heap has.

a.
aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,