Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?

От Sam Mason
Тема Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 08:18:54AM +0900, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:
> > Also I still have to see an compression algorithm that can sustain over
> > (or even anything close to, for that matter) 100MB/s on todays COTS
> > hardware. As TOAST provides compression, maybe that data can be
> > transmitted in compressed manner  (without recompression).

> I get 19 Mbit/s from gzip (deflate) on my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo laptop. With
> lzop (LZO) the machine achieves 45 Mbit/s. In both cases only a single
> core is used. With 7zip (LZMA) it only manages 3.1 Mb/s using BOTH cores
> together.

The algorithms in the MonetDB/X100 paper I posted upstream[1] appears
to be designed more for this use.  Their PFOR algorithm gets between
~0.4GB/s and ~1.7GB/s in compression and ~0.9GBs and 3GB/s in
decompression.  Your lzop numbers look *very* low; the paper suggests
compression going up to ~0.3GB/s on a 2GHz Opteron.  In fact, in an old
page for lzop[2] they were getting 5MB/s on a Pentium 133 so I don't
think I'm understanding what your numbers are.

I'll see if I can write some code that implements their algorithms and
send another mail.  If PFOR really is this fast then it may be good for
TOAST compression, though judging by the comments in pg_lzcompress.c it
may not be worth it as the time spent on compression gets lost in the
noise.

  Sam

  [1] http://old-www.cwi.nl/themes/ins1/publications/docs/ZuHeNeBo:ICDE:06.pdf
  [2] http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/#speed