functions, replication and portability was: Functional Index Question

От Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Тема functions, replication and portability was: Functional Index Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 02:26:06 +0900
Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> To me it seems obvious that such routines should be in the
> database, but I guess that's partly because of the sort of work I'm
> doing. Other apps can then use the in-DB routines, rather than

To me too but...

> Then again, that kind of thinking is part of why I'm not much of a
> fan of SQL-abstracted web app frameworks.

Maybe because there is not too many choices to chose from.
At least this is what is driving me crazy... I really would like to
build up portable, agnostic apps... but then I've to renounce to
toooooo many features even the one that rely on standards and not on
peculiarities of implementation... then...

...but oooh that makes everything non portable... and after reading a
bit pgpool docs it seems non-scalable (am I missing something?).

But still what other viable choices could I make to keep my data
coherent and sane without doing tons of bookkeeping?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it