Re: Migrating to 8.3 - checkpoints and background writer

От Steinar H. Gunderson
Тема Re: Migrating to 8.3 - checkpoints and background writer
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:33:46PM -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> On the topic of performance improvements in 8.3, I don't think this list
> has been getting information about the concurrent sequential scans
> improvements.  Check out these documents for more about that:
>
> http://j-davis.com/postgresql/83v82_scans.html

That's a nice writeup. I'm a bit puzzled by this part, though: "All tests
are on linux with the anticipatory I/O scheduler. The default I/O scheduler
for Linux is CFQ (Completely Fair Queue), which does not work well for
PostgreSQL in my tests."

All earlier benchmarks I've seen (even specifically for Postgres) have said
that cfq > deadline > anticipatory for database work. How large was the
difference for you?

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/